Chinese New Year Dishes
Easy to make, tasty and crispy - these potato pancakes are my favorite side dish for the holidays!
Peel onions and cut into fine cubes. Peel potatoes and grate using the large holes on a box grater. Transfer to a large bowl.
- knife, cutting board, vegetable peeler, large bowl, grater
- 2 onions, 18 oz potatoes (waxy)
Generously season potatoes with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Then add in onions, eggs and flour. Mix well until fully combined and sticky. Add extra flour if needed.
- large bowl, rubber spatula
- 1 tsp salt, 0.25 tsp pepper, 0.25 tsp nutmeg, 2 egs, 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan.
- frying pan
- vegetable oil for frying (approx. 150ml)
Working in batches, drop little mounds of potato mixture into the frying pan. Press lightly to flatten. Fry until golden, approx. 2 – 3 min. on each side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to absorb extra oil. Serve with smoked salmon and sour cream.
- frying pan, paper towel, plate, ice cream scoop
- smoked salmon for serving, sour cream for serving