In a small bowl, combine water, yeast and some sugar. Let sit until foamy for approx. 5 – 10min.
- small bowl
- 1/4 cups water, 2 tsp dry yeast, 1 tsp sugar
In a standing mixer or with a hand-held blender, whisk together milk, vanilla extract, egg, melted butter, some sugar and a pinch of salt.
- standing mixer or hand-held blender
- 3/4 cups milk, 0.5 tsp vanilla extract, 1 egg, 3 tbsp butter (melted), 1/4 cups sugar, salt
In two editions, add all-purpose flour into the milk mixture. Then add in yeast mixture and continue beating. Knead by hand until smooth. Place the dough in a clean bowl, cover with a kitchen towel and leave it to rise in a warm place for approx. 2 hours.
- large bowl, clean kitchen towel
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
For the filling, combine soft butter with the remaining sugar, cinnamon and the zest of halve an orange in a small bowl. Mix until smooth.
- zester, small bowl, rubber spatula
- 1 sticks butter (soft), 1/2 cups sugar, 0.5 orange (zest), 2 tsp cinnamon
Preheat oven to 190⁰C (375⁰F). Halve the dough and roll each half into the shape of a rectangle, approx. 3 mm thick.
- oven for baking, rolling pin
- flour for work surface
Spread the filling evenly onto the dough leaving a small border all around.
- palette knife
Starting at the long end, roll up the dough.
Cut the roll crosswise into 12 equally sized pieces.
Place the rolls into the prepared muffin pan cut side down and leave to rise for another hour. Then bake in a preheated oven at 190⁰C (375⁰F) for approx. 15 - 20 min. until golden. Allow to cool for 10 min. on a cake rack.
- muffin pan, cake rack
In a small bowl, combine confectioner’s sugar and lemon juice. Stir until completely dissolved.
- small bowl, tablespoon
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar, 2 tbsp citrus juice
Place a plate underneath the cake rack to catch any excess frosting. Drizzle cinnamon buns with sugar frosting to your liking. Serve while still warm.
- large plate