Preheat oven to 180°C/355°F. Peel and finely grate carrots.
- oven, knife, cutting board, vegetable peeler, vegetable grater
- 400 g carrots
In a standing mixer, or with a hand mixer with beaters, beat soft butter and brown sugar until pale and fluffy. Blend in two-thirds of the vanilla extract.
- standing mixer or hand mixer with beaters
- 250 g butter / 200 g brown sugar / 2 tsp vanilla extract
Now, blend in eggs, adding one at a time until fully incorporated.
- 4 eggs
Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a bowl. Then, gradually whisk flour mixture into butter mixture until a smooth batter forms.
- large bowl
- 250 g flour / 2 tsp baking powder / 1 tsp baking soda / 1 tsp cinnamon / 0.25 tsp nutmeg / 1 tsp salt
Stir grated carrots into the batter.
Grease baking pan. Transfer batter into the pan and smooth out the top. Bake in preheated oven at 180°C/355°F for approx. 40 – 50 min. Let rest for approx. 5– 7 min. Then, remove and allow to cool completely on a cake rack for approx. 50 – 60 min.
- oven, baking pan, cake rack
- butter for greasing
For the cream cheese topping, whisk together cream cheese, melted butter, lemon juice, and remaining vanilla extract until smooth. Then stir in confectioner’s sugar little by little. Frost cooled cake with the topping and serve with some whipped cream to taste.
- large bowl, whisk
- 200 g cream cheese / 60 g melted butter / 1 tsp lemon juice / 1 tsp vanilla extract / 60 g confectioner’s sugar / whipped cream to serve